Because there's really no limit to ego gratification when you've got a spot to spout with your name on it.

Friday, August 24, 2007

what's next, j.k.?

so if you've read my husband's blog, eponym, you know we've both been reading harry potter. ok, harry potter, harry potter, harry potter. got it out of your system now? good. i read them, i liked them, they were fun, fast reads and had lots of plot holes and character mistakes. but i liked them. i'm an infuriatingly fast reader, or so my husband tells me, so when i like something i devour it in no time at all. then i'm on the hunt for my next fix. hubby says books are like crack for me. maybe so. they're brain candy when well-written. there's an unfortunate dearth of those. entertain me, enlighten me, make me laugh, make me cry, make me think and do it with clear, beautiful language, preferably with subtle nuances, and i'll read anything you've got. give it to me!

so my question for j.k. is "what's next?". she's the biggest rags-to-riches story since oprah. unless contractually obligated to do so, she need never do another bloody thing again. and, like oprah, she worked hard, found a niche and went full throttle. good on ya, mate.

it seems to me that her writing got a little better as she continued to plow through book after book. so i wonder if the potter books have been permanently laid to rest, or will a hungry public try to exhume the bodies and demand another? and if so, will she accept? i actually hope not. everyone liked "rocky", and maybe even "rocky 2". but would anyone go to see "rocky 27: the wheelchair years"? gosh, i hope not.

it will be interesting to see what j.k. rowling does next. i hope it's something completely different from harry potter, maybe even another medium altogether. bath products? cologne? who knows.

By the way, have you seen JKR's site? It's one of the neatest I've ever seen.

No comments: