Because there's really no limit to ego gratification when you've got a spot to spout with your name on it.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Pardon My Hiatus, OR My Brother-In-Law Sucks

I took some time off to get over my utter disgust for the human race. Big pain in the ass, the lot of you. Snobby elitist though I may be, I only bother with people I consider to be the best and the brightest. I have now sworn off friends who make you feel like you're always walking on eggshells. There are very few people who are so amazing that you'll watch everything you say or do every moment you're with them or communicating with them. It gets very tiresome & you just want to relax after a while. Way too much work, especially when it seems like someone is just waiting for a chance to be offended.

True friends tend to be people who can take all your crazy moods and feel free to tell you to shut up when they hit the limit, and you can feel safe enough with them to know they're right and do the same with them. True friends feel free to tell each other anything without worrying about being judged. You can both be exactly who you are and love each other unconditionally, because no matter what happens or what either of you say or do, you know that you will always be friends, because once you love someone deeply and truly, whether relative, friend or love interest, that part of your heart permanently belongs to them.

True friends are the first ones you think of when something wonderful happens and you want to share it, when you need to be bailed out or life just sucks, or when you just want to have some fun. Each time one or the other of you gets a little freaky, you make a decision that it's worth it to put up with this bit because you love them so much and you both think the other one is the coolest, smartest, funniest person you could meet.

Some people may not have any friends like that. I feel very sad for people like that. If you have even one true friend, you can count yourself very lucky. I don't even know what the word is when you have several friends like that- ultra-super-duper lucky? Yep, that would be me.

My husband is also my true friend. He knows me so well that sometimes I forget whether I said something out loud or not because he usually answers me either way. A little scary, but nice.

I know someone in my family whose husband has so little compassion for her that when she ended up in hospital because she was so sick, all he wanted to know waswhen she was going back to work, never sat by her bed holding her hand, never kissed her or asked her how she was feeling, nothing. He makes me want to smack him in the mouth. I would be very surprised if this man could figure out even one particular thought my family member might be thinking at any moment, ever, after many years of being married to her.

That makes me sadder than I can even communicate. How can you be married to someone for years and still not have a single clue about what it's like to be you? It boggles my mind. It means you've learned absolutely nothing about the person who should be closest to you. I guess either you have no interest in gaining insight into that person or no capability of it. Both paint a pretty unflattering picture of him, don't you think? I couldn't possibly even consider spending the rest of my life with someone like that. I'd rather be alone.

Makes me even more grateful for all the joy in my life. Even though I whine a lot, I really do know how good I have it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if this is who I think...this is Jason...I searched "coolest, smartest, funniest" again...this site came up...I just wanted to comment and say that if this is you: 1.) I love you 2.) I know now you sent me things but people that were supposed to be acting in my interest intercepted them 3.) I want to hear from you 4.) but if you try to send me stuff I might not get it again because of #3 (LONG story people only think happens in movies...that long) AND 5.) I need to talk to you IMMEDIATELY -- so IF this is you, please post a blog I can read that is public that no one can intercept letting me know with the words "coolest, smartest, funniest, onionmoney aside" I can search and pull up on google -- but IF its not who I think and you don't know the story about onionmoney -- then delete this message...you have my apologies

GrowlGrrl said...

It's not who you think, apparently. I know no one named Jason, but obviously my post resonated with you and that's kinda cool on its own. I'm leaving your post up anyway because it proves my point.

I wish my sentiments were unique, but obviously they're not and that's one of the reasons I wrote this particular post originally.

Good luck, mate.